View all facilities

Limestone Creek Natural Area

Image Unavailable
Other Link Website

Features

  1. Canoe/Kayak Launch
  2. Canoe/Kayak Trail(s)
  3. Educational Kiosk
  4. Fishing Pier
  5. Hiking Trail(s)
  6. Natural Area
  7. Observation Platform
  8. Parking
  9. Wildlife Viewing
Operated by: Palm Beach County Department of Environmental Resources Management
(561) 233-2400

Location:
6570 Church Street, Jupiter, FL 33458 (not a mailing address). The site is bordered on several sides by the Town of Jupiter. The C-18 Canal runs east to west through the natural area and there is parking available both north and south of the Canal. The main paved parking lot to the north is off Church Street and there are two additional lots to the south: a paved parking lot off Island Way and an unpaved lot off Central Boulevard.

Public Use Facilities:
Public use facilities include a paved parking area for five cars and one bus off Church Street, two parking areas on the south side of the C-18 Canal, a bicycle rack, a kiosk with educational exhibits, an accessible nature trail leading to a covered observation platform, a fishing pier, a natural-surface hiking trail, a multipurpose trail along both sides of the C-18 Canal, and a canoe/kayak launch. There are no restroom facilities or drinking water on the natural area.

Site Information:
The natural area contains four native Florida ecosystems: mesic flatwoods, scrubby flatwoods, hydric hammock, and mangrove swamp. Most of Limestone Creek, a small blackwater stream, was lost when the C-18 Canal was dug along the creek channel in 1956 and 1957, but two tributaries to that creek still flow intermittently through the natural area. Palm Beach County purchased 22 acres of the site in three separate acquisitions in 2002 and 2003. State Florida Forever matching funds for these acquisitions were provided by the Florida Communities Trust. The County also manages 30 acres owned by the South Florida Water Management District that are located on both sides of the C-18 Canal. Restoration projects have been completed on both the north and south banks, including the creation of several oxbows and planting of native vegetation. The natural area is part of the Northeast Everglades Natural Area.