***Applications are currently being accepted for the position of certified police officer. For more information visit the Town of Jupiter Human Resources.
Police Officer Job Duties and Responsibilities
General duty police work of protecting life and property and promoting safe, secure neighborhoods through the enforcement of laws and ordinances. For additional information or questions, please call 561-746-6201.
Police Officer Position Requirements
- Must meet the minimum age requirement in accordance with Florida State Statutes (minimum age of 21 preferred).
- Be a citizen of the United States.
- High school diploma / GED (Preferred: college associates degree or the equivalent number of credit hours from an accredited four-year college or university).
- Possess a valid Florida drivers license and hold a good driving record (Out-of-State applicants must obtain a Florida drivers license at the time of hire).
- Never have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States.
- Have a positive work history, being free from frequent disciplinary actions, suspensions, and/or terminations and resignations.
- Be a non-smoker (which includes daily use of any tobacco product).
- Maintain the highest moral character, as specified under the provisions of Florida State Statute 943.13(7) and Rule 11B-27.002 of the Florida Administrative Code, by never having been convicted of any felony or misdemeanor involving domestic violence, perjury, or a false statement, nor having pled guilty or nolo contendre after July 1, 1981, to a felony or misdemeanor involving perjury or a false statement, whether or not adjudication was withheld or sentence suspended.
The Town of Jupiter accepts applications from non-certified applicants; however, preference shall be given to those applicants who are certified or are currently enrolled in an FDLE approved Police Academy.
In addition to meeting the police officer position requirements, non-certified applicants must achieve:
- Passing score on the Florida C.J.B.A.T. (written Criminal Justice Basic Abilities Test) from any Criminal Justice Institute.
- Passing score on the physical agility assessment.
Testing is not required prior to the submission of an application. You must contact IRSC or PBSC's Criminal Justice Institute Assessment Center directly regarding requirements, fees, and academy schedules. Applicants are responsible for paying the applicable Community College fees associated with testing, to include application processing, C.J.B.A.T. and physical agility assessment.
Out-of-State / Military Police Officers
All Police Officers working in the State of Florida must attend an FDLE-recognized Law Enforcement Academy, regardless of prior experience in another state or in the military. Out-of-State or military police officers should contact the Florida Department of Law Enforcement (FDLE) at (850) 410-8600 to inquire if their law enforcement experience qualifies them for the equivalency of training process, an avenue by which an officer can request an exemption from the full academy. You are not required to attend the equivalency of training prior to application or hiring.
We suggest that you review the Town of Jupiter website for more information about our town.