Jupiter Civic Center History
The Town is granted a land patent from the U.S. Department of the Interior for five acres along the Atlantic Ocean for the use as a municipal park (present day Carlin Park).
The Town erects a public bathing pavilion on the municipal park with the help of Work Progress Administration (WPA) labor, a federal government depression-era initiative created to provide jobs for U.S. citizens in the areas of construction and the arts (painting, music, literature, etc.).
- 1935 to 1940
The Town Commission enters into a 20-year private lease for the use of a building (known as the Log Cabin) constructed on the site of the public bathing pavilion. The lessee (Mr. McGehee) is required to make certain improvements (electrical wiring, plumbing, bathrooms, porch extension, etc.) The lease is canceled by the Town Commission in 1940.
The Town Commission approves a 99-year lease of the Log Cabin property (to be run as a restaurant) to Mr. Robert A. Colpitts and Lyla M. Colpitts for the sum of $3,500.
The Colpitts are sent a letter of warning from the Town in October pertaining to the reported illegal sale of alcohol on the premises between the hours of 2:00 a.m. and noon on Sundays.
- 1952 to 1954
Judge Curtis Eugene Chillingworth handed down a final decree in 1952 declaring the 99-year lease illegal. In 1954, Judge Joseph S. White ruled the Log Cabin property was conveyed to the Town by the federal government solely for public purposes. The lease was nullified and the Colpitts were required to surrender possession of the Log Cabin property to the Town within 60 days.
The Town Commission officially renamed the Log Cabin building the Jupiter Civic Center.
- 1962 to 1982
The Jupiter Civic Center building is leased to the United States Air Force/Army Corps of Engineers and the Palm Beach County Parks and Recreation Department.
The Jupiter Civic Center building was condemned and closed in August 1982 because of rotten pilings. It is estimated the repairs would cost $92,000.
- 1983 to 1985
At a September 1983 Town Council Workshop, a consensus of the Council agrees to complete renovations to the Jupiter Civic Center building and the renovated building is reopened in March 1985.