- Construction Projects Around the Town of Jupiter
- FDOT Project on the U.S. 1 Bridge
FDOT Project on the U.S. 1 Bridge
The U.S. 1 Bridge over the Loxahatchee River and Intracoastal Waterway was closed starting Monday, March 13 as part of the Florida Department of Transportation's bridge replacement project. FDOT spent the 15 months prior to the closure preparing by improving intersections along the detour route. The bridge closure will last approximately 20 months, or until late 2024, at which point, a new bridge with an additional 17 feet of clearance in height and 35 feet of distance for boat passage will open to vehicular traffic.
The replacement bridge will consist of two 11-foot travel lanes in each direction, 8-foot sidewalks and 7-foot bike lanes in both directions. Pedestrians will be separated from traffic with permanent concrete barriers. The new bridge will be a twin double-leaf drawbridge, feature a concrete bridge deck to reduce traffic noise, a new tender house and pedestrian overlooks.
For more information about this project, visit FDOT's current project page.
Coffee with the Project Team
Tuesday, April 4
Carve Surf &Coffee, 255 South U.S. Highway 1
Residents will be able to ask the project's team any questions about the project as well as check out a 3D replica of the new bridge.
Project Team's Contact Information
Bodler Barthelemy, P.E. — FDOT Project Manager
email@example.com or (561) 370-1127
Scott Case, P.E. — Project Engineer
firstname.lastname@example.org or (561) 677-0707
Angel Gardner — Community Outreach Specialist
email@example.com or (561) 886-8773
- A full bridge closure, which began on March 13, will occur for approximately 20 months, with traffic detoured to Alternate A1A. Please see the detour map below.
- Access to adjacent properties will be maintained.
- Pedestrian and bicycle access will be maintained on Alternate A1A.
- Marine traffic will be maintained with some restrictions in the channel.
- Traffic will be detoured to Alternate A1A as follows: * Northbound motorists will go west on Indiantown Road to Alternate A1A, then go north on Alternate A1A to US 1.
* Southbound motorists will go south on Alternate A1A to Indiantown Road, then go east on Indiantown Road to US 1.
- Permanent and temporary intersection improvements were implemented to improve traffic flow along the detour route at the following locations: Alternate A1A and Old Dixie Highway, US 1 and Indiantown Road, Alternate A1A and Indiantown Road, and Alternate A1A (Beach Road) and US 1.
- Intelligent Transportation System technology has been installed to monitor and actively manage traffic to maintain mobility along the detour route.